Sunday, March 24, 2013

Milestones

When I was growing up, my mom was always there for me, physically and mentally. She came to every sporting event, every school activity. Usually with at least 2 other family members. I was well supported at each activity I participated in. (Not to toot my own horn, but I lettered in 4 sports so there were a LOT of events for my mom to attend) I honestly loved that she was there; I wasn't the kid who got embarrassed to have my mom around-she was and is the best. Looking back on it now, I have a better understanding of why she was there for everything. So many of those events are milestones, and as a parent you don't want to miss ANY of them. First Varsity game, first time in starting lineup, first time as Captain, last home game, etc. They were all huge for me; therefore, huge for her. Thinking about the sacrifices she had to make to be at every single game blows me away. Seriously, she didn't miss one. As a single mom, that is a huge accomplishment. I am lucky to have her.
Since my kids are little ones, their milestones have mostly been developmental instead of accomplishments. And I am finding myself to be the sappiest mom ever over each and every one. I am feeling even more sentimental over my baby, my last child, reaching milestones because I won't witness another child experiencing them. Roy is spending tonight as his first night in his full size big boy bed. The last vestiges of toddlerhood are gone. He will be starting school in the fall in a full time pre-k program and Stella will be starting Kindergarten. BOTH babies starting school at the same time???? While I am very excited for them and I know it is the right decision, losing both babes to school at the same time is quite enough to send this mommy into a panic attack. I distinctly remember my first day of school, getting on the bus while my mom cried and saying to her that I would be fine. I didn't get why she was crying; I was so excited to go to school I couldn't get on the bus fast enough. And now the thought of dropping my babies off at school this Fall makes me tear up. It is MONTHS away but it still makes me cry. Holy crap I am a sentimental fool!
I love it when my kids reach milestones. I love it when they accomplish a new task, learn a new skill, develop a new talent. I love when they are anxious to explore and dying to have new experiences. Stella is so ready to read that she is bursting (and she is pretty close to doing it I might add). Roy is super excited about school and can count to 30 on his own.  I am a proud mama! But oh is it hard to see your babies grow...

No comments:

Post a Comment