Saturday, March 2, 2013

Miracles

Things I'm reflecting on today:
Do you ever look at your child with total wonder at how beautiful he or she is? Gaze in total amazement at the perfection of their features? Do you see the miracle that is their creation? Hold that little hand in yours: does it still have the chubby baby fat dimples on the back of it? Or has it already morphed into a sturdy little version of your own? Do you still smell the top of their heads? Are you totally in love with the softness of their little cheeks? Look into those eyes, sparkling bright with mischief and hope and excitement. I am constantly touching them to make sure they are real, that they aren't going anywhere, that I didn't just dream them.


Do you ever get a glimpse of what your child will look like as a teenager? Does it make your heart stop? Do you think of them falling in love, starting a family of their own? Are you already proud of the things you just know they will accomplish? Do you cry at their dance recitals and soccer classes? Are you sad when they learn the proper way to pronounce words instead of their child-like versions? Do you watch them grow with a mixture of happiness and terror? Are their dance moves the stuff of legend in your house? Have you turned the car around and driven 30 minutes out of the way to retrieve a favorite stuffed animal/doll/action figure left behind?


The worst day in the world can be salvaged with a sweet hug around my legs and an "I love you Mommy". Anger melts, frustration disappears. Playing "This Little Piggy" with tiny little toes, seeing a cute little bottom in big boy boxer briefs, folding a laundry basket full of Hello Kitty pj's; it all kills me. I have never been more sure of anything in my life than the fact that I was meant to be a mommy. As crazy as it can get, as tough and challenging as it is to raise a PERSON, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment