Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Orlando

What do you do when your soul is tired and your heart is heavy with loss? When you are exhausted and bone weary with the weight of the deaths of people you never met but somehow feel like you know? People more eloquent than I have expressed their sorrow with heartfelt words and I have identified with them and mourned with them and still the ache is there. People more educated and well versed in politics and policies and government and agenda have screamed and shouted about why and how this happened yet still I search. More of my brothers and sisters have died in violent and senseless deaths at the hands of men with too much ammo, too many weapons, too little love. Too many Americans throw words like "Godless" and "radicalized" around like stones without looking at the glass walls surrounding their own homes. Too many citizens still view those who are different as less than, as sinners, as ignorant. Too many believe that the answers are prayers without changes. I have prayed, will continue to pray, will always pray because I believe in its' power to heal. But the time has come to do more. The time has come to love, to stop digging heels in to protect an agenda that needs no protection because it is so firmly entrenched in our culture that we can't even see it for what it is. The time actually came years ago, the time has always been now. The agenda of hate, mistrust, intolerance and fear must end. The only answer is love and acceptance. Yes, of course evil will still exist, madmen will always rise up despite efforts made to prevent them; we cannot prevent hate. But we can damn sure do our best to thwart it instead of handing it a bigger weapon. My heart is full of sorrow and I am so deeply saddened by yet another tragic loss that I cannot shake this heaviness. The only thing I can do is try to write out the mess in my head. More love America, more love please.

No comments:

Post a Comment