Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I won't wear black...

I won't wear black to my grandmother's memorial service, even though it is the generally accepted thing to do when one is mourning. I wear black in my day to day wardrobe quite frequently; I like to wear black. But I cannot recall a single time that I saw my grandmother wear it. Honestly, I can't. Undoubtedly she did so at funerals, but I don't remember it.
She loved vibrant colors, most especially blue. Every year for the last 6 years I have given her a new hat for Christmas, all in different, gorgeous shades. Rose, bright red, cobalt blue, deep purple. She loved them all, and let me tell you, that woman could work a hat.
One of her favorite things to do was watch the hummingbirds that drank from the many feeders she had surrounding her house. She could differentiate each one, noting their markings and how fast they were, how much they drank, how often she had to refill the feeders. She loved flowers and had beautiful tea roses blooming right outside her door. In the Spring and Summer her yard was full of blooms from azaleas and clematis, Easter always meant lilies and Winter meant poinsettias.
Life, for her, was colorful and bright and beautiful. So while I am mourning her loss, I am also celebrating her life. And I don't think cloaking myself in black is the way to honor her memory. Looks like it's time to go shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment