Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

I love mommy's day. I always have. As a kid, I LOVED to make gifts for my mom; she deserved so much more than I could give her and she always made me feel like it was the best gift on earth :) I am one of the lucky ones who has always had a good relationship with my mother. None of that weird jealousy I have seen with other mother/daughter relationships, none of that "I hate you" crap, even in my asshole year of 15-16.

Now that I am a mom, I finally understand my mom so much more.

I understand why she cried so hard on my first day of school.
Why she came to every school activity.
Why she gave me chores to do every day.
Why she beat the crap out of a 6ft 2inch tall MAN who insulted me (true story, I'll tell ya that one later)
Why she always made her yummy brownies for all my school parties.
Why she kept that awful bookmark I made her when I was 7.
Why she never talked poorly about my dad after he left us.
Why she let me date, but gave me an early curfew.
Why she had me fill out all of my college scholarship/financial aid applications on my own.
Why she had total, absolute faith in my abilities to achieve my goals.
Why she never said "I told you so" when I screwed up big time.
Why she had so much fun taking me and my boyfriend and our friends to see Public Enemy, MC Lite and Queen Latifah in high school.
Why she agreed to be the chaperone for Beach Week two years in a row.
Why she accepts me for who I am and has never tried to change me.
Why she sacrificed so much for me from the age of 17 on.

There is something sacred about the mother/child relationship. I hope and pray every day to be as good of a mom to my kids as my mom is to me. Thank you mom, for the inspiration and example. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment